Posted by Jamal Eason, Product Supervisor, Android
After almost six months of growth, Android Studio three.four is able to download at present on the secure launch channel. It is a milestone launch of the Mission Marble effort from the Android Studio workforce. Mission Marble is our give attention to making the elemental options and flows of the Built-in Growth Setting (IDE) rock-solid. On prime of many efficiency enhancements and bug fixes we made in Android Studio three.four, we’re excited to launch a small however targeted set of recent options that deal with core developer workflows for app constructing & useful resource administration.
A part of the trouble of Mission Marble is to handle person going through points in core options within the IDE. On the prime of the record of points for Android Studio three.four is an up to date Mission Construction Dialog (PSD) which is a revamped person interface to handle dependencies in your app venture Gradle construct information. In one other build-related change, R8 replaces Proguard because the default code shrinker and obfuscator. To help app design, we integrated your suggestions to create a brand new app useful resource administration instrument to bulk import, preview, and handle sources to your venture. Lastly, we’re transport an up to date Android Emulator that takes much less system sources, and in addition helps the Android Q Beta. General, these options are designed to make you extra productive in your day-to-day app growth workflow.
Alongside the secure launch of Android Studio three.four, we just lately printed in-depth blogs on how we’re investigating & fixing a variety of points beneath the auspices of Mission Marble. It is best to test them out as you download the most recent replace to Android Studio:
- Project Marble: Apply Changes
- Improving build speed in Android Studio
- Android Emulator: Project Marble Improvements
- Android Studio Project Marble: Lint Performance
The event work for Mission Marble remains to be on-going, however Android Studio three.four incorporates productiveness options and over 300 bug & stability enhancements that you do not need to overlook. Watch and browse under for a number of the notable adjustments and enhancements that you can find in Android Studio three.four.
- Useful resource Supervisor – Now we have heard from you that asset administration and navigation could be clunky and tedious in Android Studio, particularly as your app grows in complexity. The useful resource supervisor is a brand new instrument to visualise the drawables, colours, and layouts throughout your app venture in a consolidated view. Along with visualization, the panel helps drag & drop bulk asset import, and, by well-liked request, bulk SVG to VectorDrawable conversion. These accelerators will hopefully assist handle property you get from a design workforce, or just assist you’ve got a extra organized view of venture property. Learn more.
Useful resource Supervisor
- Import Intentions – As you’re employed with new Jetpack and Firebase libraries, Android Studio three.four will acknowledge frequent courses in these libraries and recommend, through code intentions, including the required import assertion and library dependency to your Gradle venture information. This optimization could be a time saver because it retains you within the context of your code. Furthermore, since Jetpack libraries are modularized, Android Studio can discover the precise library or minimal set of libraries required to make use of a brand new Jetpack class.
Jetpack Import Intentions
- Structure Editor Properties Panel – To enhance product refinement and polish we refreshed the Structure Editor Properties panel. Now we simply have one single pane, with collapsible sections for properties. Moreover, errors and warnings have their very own spotlight shade, we’ve got a useful resource binding management for every property, and we’ve got an up to date shade picker.
Structure Editor Properties Panel
- IntelliJ Platform Replace – Android Studio three.four contains Intellij 2018.three.four. This replace has a variety of enhancements from help for multi-line TODOs to an up to date search all over the place function. Learn more.
- Mission Construction Dialog – An extended standing request from many builders is to have a person interface entrance finish to handle Gradle venture information. Now we have extra plans for this space, however Android Studio three.four contains the subsequent section of enchancment within the Product Construction Dialog (PSD). The brand new PSD lets you see and add dependencies to your venture at a module stage. Moreover, the brand new PSD shows construct variables, recommendations to enhance your construct file configuration, and extra! Though the most recent Gradle plugin v3.four additionally has enhancements, you don’t have to improve your Gradle plugin model quantity to make the most of the brand new PSD. Learn more.
Mission Construction Dialogue
- R8 by Default – Nearly two years in the past we previewed R8 because the substitute for Proguard. R8 code shrinking helps scale back the dimensions of your APK by eliminating unused code and sources in addition to making your precise code take much less area. Moreover, compared to Proguard, R8 combines shrinking, desugaring and dexing operations into one step, which ends as much as be a extra environment friendly strategy for Android apps. After extra validation and testing final yr, R8 is now the default code shinker for brand spanking new tasks created with Android Studio three.four and for tasks utilizing Android Gradle plugin three.four and better. Learn more.
- Android Emulator Pores and skin updates & Android Q Beta Emulator System Picture – Within Android Studio three.four we launched the most recent Google Pixel three & Google Pixel three XL machine skins. Additionally with this launch, you may as well obtain Android Q Beta emulator system photos for app testing on Android Q. Please notice that we do suggest running the canary version of Android Studio and the emulator to get the most recent compatibility adjustments throughout the Android Q Beta program.
Android Emulator – Pixel three XL Emulator Pores and skin
To recap, Android Studio three.four contains these new enhancements & options:
- Useful resource Supervisor
- Import Intentions
- Structure Editor Properties Panel
- IntelliJ 2018.three.four Platform Replace
- Incremental Kotlin annotation processing (Kotlin 1.three.30 Replace)
- Mission Construction DialogR8 by Default
- Emulator System Skins
- Android Q Beta Emulator System Picture Assist
Obtain the most recent model of Android Studio three.four from the download page. In case you are utilizing a earlier launch of Android Studio, you possibly can merely replace to the most recent model of Android Studio. If you wish to keep a secure model of Android Studio, you possibly can run the secure launch model and canary launch variations of Android Studio on the identical time. Learn more.
To make use of the talked about Android Emulator options be sure you are working not less than Android Emulator v28.zero.22 downloaded through the Android Studio SDK Supervisor.
We admire any suggestions on belongings you like, and points or options you want to see. When you discover a bug or concern, be happy to file an issue. Observe us — the Android Studio growth workforce ‐ on Twitter and on Medium.